BirthWorks, through the practice of its mission and values, manifests a global vision in which:
- Women are empowered by the truth that birth is instinctive and that the knowledge about how to give birth is born within them. They have trust and faith in their ability to give birth.
- Women have access to birthing places of their choice, where they feel safe and protected.
- Women are supported by caregivers who believe in normal, natural birth and minimal intervention
- Birthing families receive current evidence-based information in childbirth classes, dispelling fear-inducing myths which have been propagated by the media.
- Babies are born gently and given immediate skin-to-skin contact, breastfed through the first year and beyond, and raised in nurturing environments.
BirthWorks affirms that birth is an intensely felt and uniquely empowering transformation for women, babies, and families and believes that we can positively impact the future of our planet by promoting gentle, loving birth practices.
BirthWorks embodies the philosophy of developing a woman’s self-confidence, trust, and faith in her innate ability to give birth. It is our mission to train childbirth educators and doulas who in turn provide evidence-based, current information to birthing families through a unique experiential approach that is based on human values. BirthWorks seeks working relationships with other childbirth related organizations, striving together to help birthing families make more informed and safe choices for birth.