Congratulations on your decision to become a certified postpartum doula through BirthWorks International. Our self-study Postpartum Doula Program has been designed to be flexible so you have access to a high quality, comprehensive training program without the need for travel. This allows for adequate training while attending to your family and job commitments. While this is a self-study program, BirthWorks knows it is important to have support and guidance as you navigate this new career option. You will be assigned to a reviewer who will answer your questions, provide you with guidance, and who will be your point of contact. You are certainly welcome to reach out to the BirthWorks office with any questions or concerns, but we encourage you to build a relationship with your reviewer.
Online, Self-Study Program
We offer two options for certification:
- Online training with a postpartum doula workshop. The advantage is receiving hands-on training and waiving some requirements. You can complete other requirements in the comfort of your own home.)
- Online training without attending a postpartum doula workshop. Our completely online, self-study program, does not require attendance at a workshop and is designed to allow you to learn in the comfort of your own home while developing the skills and confidence to support families after birth. The efficient layout, built in resources, and your reviewer support make it possible to complete our certification program in 12 months or less.
Step-by-step list for navigating the BirthWorks Postpartum Doula Program
- Once you enroll in the online postpartum doula certification program you will receive log-in information for the course.
- You will be assigned to a mentor who will reach out to you within five business days and provide you with her contact information.
- Application and Understanding: Many of the topic files in our program end with an Application and Understanding section.
- The purpose of these questions is to demonstrate your understanding of the topic and your responses are to be sent to your reviewer through our online Learning Management System.
- We want to encourage you to use the internet to research more information about the topics. Therefore, some questions have been included that are not discussed in the module presented.
- Please keep answers to the point.
- Links to online resources are also provided in a number of files. You are expected to read them to help with your Application and Understanding section scenarios and questions.
- In the outline, there are hyperlinks. Some subtopics are hyperlinks but others act only as index information. Be sure to review the outline thoroughly so no hyperlinks are missed.
- Instructions for assignments, training information, and video clips and links can all be found on the training program website. When you log into the training website you will find an outline. This outline details each module for your training.
- You will find your certification checklist in Step 1.
- Postpartum doula care evaluations must be from care provided after you enrolled in this program.
- Once you have submitted all of your assignments and they have been approved, you will receive your certification within four weeks or less. This certification is valid for two years after which recertification fees and paperwork are due on a biannual basis.
- Contact your reviewer with any questions/concerns and she will approve your assignments and get back to you with any applicable feedback.
- By following our scope of practice, philosophy, the practice of human values, and our comprehensive training, you will be able to provide a high standard of postpartum care in your community.