Become a Birth Doula
The Birth Doula Training
Would you like to help women and their families have more positive birth experiences? As a doula, it is your continuous presence with a woman in labor that helps her to feel safe and allows labor to progress. This means shorter labors and fewer interventions. Become a birth doula now and receive our high quality, premium, comprehensive training that includes a unique, experiential approach that with the practice of human values, integrates the mind, body, and spirit in birth.
Receive mentorship throughout your training!
Our Certification is a 4-Step Process
- Complete the enrollment form and pay applicable fees.
- Complete your BirthWorks Doula Journal Workbook.
- Attend a three-day BirthWorks Doula Workshop and complete reading and written exercises.
- Attend two births and obtain evaluations from the mother and a professional member of the birth team for each birth.
Website Accounts and Logging In
- You must log into the website to enroll and be assigned a mentor.
- Use the Log In link in the website top menu to log in. You can also use this link to log out.
- Once you log in, return to this page and click the "Begin Here" button below. This will take you to the Enrollment page for this Training.
- If you do not have a BirthWorks International account, you may create a free account by clicking the Log In link.
Highlights of our training
- Receive Mentorship throughout your training.
- Understand how to work with the energy surrounding labor and birth.
- Recognizes that integration of the mind, body, and spirit generates a more positive birth experience.
- See yourself as a companion to the birthing woman, providing information to help her develop a birth plan prior to birth and staying with her throughout her entire labor so she can feel safe to let go and give birth.
- Become experienced in the practice and application of Pelvic Bodywork and the Four Principles of Optimal Pelvic Positioning using gravity and movement labor for more positive birth experiences.
- Realize how emotions and nutrition of a pregnant woman have a great impact on the health of her baby from his life as a fetus through adulthood.
- Understand that breast milk provides optimum nutrition for the newborn baby, and therefore encourages breastfeeding whenever possible.
- Respects the privacy of a laboring woman and her family.
- Become trained to recognize the progress of labor by observing body physiology, facial expressions and speech.
People who experience BirthWorks say they:
- Learn how Optimal Pelvic Positioning and Pelvic Bodywork help labor progress
- Know how to decrease stimulation of the neocortex during labor
- Understand the deep significance of the microbiome, birth physiology, and Primal Health
- Enhance positive energy around a birthing woman
- Gain awareness of nonpharmacological and other comfort measures for labor and birth
- Trust in birth as an instinctive process
- Understand physical, emotional and spiritual aspects of giving birth
- Understand ways to practice Human Values in labor and in life
- Realize the impact of mother-daughter relationships in birth